Saturday, February 14, 2009

3 roses for 3 kids. So what does 6 roses mean? Ahhhhh!


So James got home yesterday and was working on the van trying to get the battery charged, with little luck for the first half hour. I was getting nervous that we would have to fold the entire evening's plans. Lil' James is telling me that I'm not allowed to go out there in the garage because I'm not allowed to "see." Finally, James got the van going and he came in to get ready whilst trying to level the temper fumes brewing in his brain. Meanwhile, we're running almost a 1/2 hour late!
All of a sudden I see Ireson toddling over to me yelling "fowers, fowers, fowers!" He handed me 3 roses. I forgot that I had those coming!
Let me explain...Ever since we started having kids, James gets me a rose for each kid for Valentine's Day. I hadn't gotten flowers from him since we were dating and it was almost 6 years into our marriage before we had our first child. So, getting flowers (even one) can be a big deal if I choose to let it! So when we had Lil' James I got one rose, the next year we had Teagan and I got two roses, and so on. Finally, I'm up to three roses now! Well, the first year when we had Lil' James, my husband so elegantly explained to me that if I ever want to get a dozen roses again then "you know what you have to do."- But not in those exact words..funnier, somewhat cruder...but not appropriate to post:)

I have to re-explain this concept to the kids every year. This year, Teagan figures since there is one "for each of my kids" then she should get to have one for herself. "Back off Chucky," was my only response. Hey- I got flowers and I'm gonna save them and dry them like the rest! I at least let her smell them.

So the next day, Valentine's day morning, we went down stairs and there were 3 more roses on the counter! Wait a minute!!! What does this mean?! Have the rules changed?! Is there something I don't know about?! Even if I included the dog as my 4th kid I'd only be up to 4 roses!
Teagan immediately assumes "it's a miracle. God brought them down here- so now I can have one!" Luckily, I was able to appease her with heart balloons from last night's dinner. James, the logical one, says that "someone must have put them there because they could not have grown there overnight Teagan! Use your head!" Ireson, the repeater, exclaims in a somewhat confused state, "God! Here! One! Night!"
I just figured that the florist was only selling roses by the dozen or half a dozen so James had no choice but to bring home 6. So I ask the kids what they think this means if there are only 3 kids and 6 roses now. Lil' James deduces, very matter-of-fact: "Well Mom, you better start having more kids, 'cause you're getting old."

I'll get to the bottom of this eventually.

No comments: