Thursday, September 17, 2009

Grocery Store Blues

I usually take all 3 kids with me to the grocery store. Sometimes I wait until James gets home and then go- but that's a rare and special occasion. As I've said before, I think it's more important to tough it out, tantrums and all if they happen, and teach the kids to be responsible, respectful, obedient, and functional children of society. I'm raising young adults after all. Consequently, I don't stick them in the babysitting room either- if I go to that particular store.

Today, I figured we'd go in the morning to our grocery store and do our Math and some reading and spelling while we were there. James was walking around looking at prices and I had him tell me how many of each value there were on some price tags.
$7.99 - "That's 9 units, 9 tens, and 7 one-hundreds. Or 799 pennies. Whoa- that's a lot of pennies!! Or seven ninety-nine. Seven dollars and 99 cents." He'd rant and chant several of these and so on. He would get excited when he'd see a giant sign and run up to it and practically yell what the number was and what it meant. I rather enjoyed the people's stares and smiles at his enthusiasm. I had to tell him to simmer down a couple of times.

As we walked around, all the kids would say "hi" to passers-by, in their happy and squeaky little voices. Ireson would yell if he saw a baby. "Go see it Mom!"- He'd request.

Teagan and James would both read some words as we passed them or I'd give them something to put in the cart and they'd have to read it first. We also played the guessing/spelling game with some of the things on our list.

For example-"I'm an spicy dip that we eat with chips-what am I?"
"Salsa!"
"I'm white and I come from cows." Milk!"-they'd say and then they'd have to spell it. Fun, educational and intellectually occupying all at the same time. Who knew that the grocery store could qualify as a field trip?!

James and Teagan do this funny walking thing to entertain Ireson too. Sometimes, they'll walk while he rides, and strut their goofy stuff up and down the aisles and have him laughing his head off! I mean- the belly laugh that makes you think he might throw up if he doesn't get a break. They look like total goofballs as they come up with these hysterical dances and Ireson loves it! They could take their show on the road. Perhaps I should hire them out for other parents so they can entertain their kids too!

We got to the check out and I got in line that was over by the babysitting room. It has 3 giant windows. As I checked out I let the kids go and look through the windows and see what's happening. They stand there and look on in awe- much like observing animals in the zoo. I'm not kidding. They find it fascinating. The 3 of them stood there waving, and smiling and watching the 4 kids behind the glass. I saw another cashier walk over to the the lady that manages the joint and talk to her. She immediately got on the overhead intercom and made an announcement.

She said, and I sadly quote, "Attention customers, the Eagle's Nest [Babysitting room] can be a fun, interactive, and an educational place for your children -ages 3-9 years old. Please stop by today!"

I sighed in grieve disappointment. I sighed as I looked at the 4 TVs lining the wall with video games on waiting to lure in their next victim (3 were already occupied). I sighed as I looked at the big screen TV in the opposite corner playing a Disney movie that I find inappropriate for young children. I sighed because I didn't see a single book in that huge room! Not one! I sighed because of what our society has labelled as "fun and educational". Granted there was a train table, a kitchen area, and some great baby dolls and toys. But not one of them were being utilized by small fingers.

Thank you Lord that my kids don't ask to go in there. Thank you Lord that they had a truly "fun and educational" time with their mother and siblings interacting in a positive and responsible way learning life lessons. Thank you for the time we spent together laughing and enjoying each other's company. Now home for some more "real life" education.

No comments: