Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Einstein?







I was helping James build a fort/garage with his Lincoln Logs. We were having a heck of a time trying to figure out the best way to maintain stability for the structure on the carpet. Amidst the assembling and encouraging of each other, James asked me if I knew how to build houses like Daddy does. I told him no but I can still be pretty handy around the house when I need to be. Then I suggested we use a certain piece to brace this other piece, and so on and so forth. James boisterously burst out "Mom, you are a genius!"

Golly- he'd never called me that before! I felt very honored and so smart. Why did a compliment of this caliber, coming from an almost 6 year old, make my day? Well, I don't know- but it did!

Then he concluded: "Even though you can't engineer stuff like Daddy, you're still pretty good at this building stuff...but you're NOT as smart as Daddy is though!"

Huh...pride, warm and fuzzy feelings gone. Sigh. I just convinced myself that he was talking about me not being as smart at building stuff rather than everything in general because...well....come now! I had to retain some semblance of dignity at this point!

It's sad to think that the day is soon coming when my son will realize that I don't know EVERYTHING! I remember thinking my parent's knew EVERYTHING when I was younger. Yet, thank goodness that I don't remember the point when I realized that they didn't know everything...because...well...come now! - that would have been as shocking as me admitting that James is smarter than me at EVERYTHING!

No comments: